CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My Life as a Step parent Verse 1

So many of my friends and family already know the story, but here is the short and humorous version.... ( trust me there were times these were not so funny) Do not read if your eyes are tired.

My step son came to live with my husband and I August 31, 2007. He was havinng problems at home with his mom and depending on who you ask, there were different reasons that he was brought up here. He says because he wanted to live with his dad and his mom says because she could no longer deal with him... nice right, like saying here I screwed up, now you fix him.
We got him enrolled in the school prior to his arrival which was no small feat since the schools remain closed until almost the start of school and we were dealing with a records switch between two schools 2400 miles apart. He arrives with a couple of electronic gadgets his dad bought for him previously and the clothes on his back.
The next couple of days were a blur. We bought school clothes, haircut, immunizations brought up to date and a trip to the dentist which uncovered 4 cavities since who knows when he was last at the dentist ( When I asked B, he couldn't remember ever being....)
School starts and within a couple of weeks we are already having problems in the latchkey program. This is the before and after school program we enrolled him in so I could keep my job. We also experienced our first missing task slip where he was missing 87% of his homework in the first three weeks of school. We were not impressed, especially since the first punishment was handed down on our 2nd wedding anniversary while we were getting ready to go to dinner.
We then actually went a few weeks with no incidents, so you figure, hey things are gonna be okay..... And you are all sitting there thinking, get to the juicy stuff sister, this is all pretty tame...
And then you are totally blindsided......
My husband left for deployment. Now unlike most regular navy guys, he actually flew to meet the boat he was going on. I had my typical goodbye meltdown and went to work. By the time Hubby made it to port XX, I was having a near nervous breakdown. Why, you might ask?
Hubby was gone and three days later, I get a call from a deputy sheriff. They had been to school to have a conversation with B regarding a story that he told about me, where in said story I had pulled a gun on him and pointed it at his chest..... I could barely breathe and my mind was racing..., I kept thinking I am gooing to jail because B told a story.... I was told that they had come to the conclusion that I had not acted in said story because he likes to tell 'tall tales', but it had to be reported to CPS..... Now you are thinking Holy crap... I would've beaten him... trust me I wanted to , but that would have sent another call to CPS...haha
Fabulous, 30 years of walking the line and never even so much as a detention ane and now I have an official police file. CPS cleared me as well, giving me a letter or reprimand that I need to behave so they won't have to revisit this matter... What?! Me behave... I'm goin' on a crime spree now baby !!!
Anyways, while this is happening, hubby is 6000 miles away and pretty disturbed that this has happened in his absence, not that I can blame him. Anyways, the command became involved and I have to say, they were totally awesome. They offered hubby to come home,and as nice as that would have been, it would have started this all over again the next time he left, why cause international jet lag twice in once month over something that was over and done with. They also checked on me periodically after this to make sure I was okay and to provide numbers of resources to help me if/when other problems arised as they undoubtedly would.
Hubby goes under the water and there is no communication...... B wants to know why he can't call his dad.....What do they teach these kids in school these days
And we have another incident. This time he was in more trouble at latchkey. He was suspended from the program for 2 days and I had to take time off of work for this. While I was reprimanding him for the suspension, I called his mom, so I could have a break. Next thing I know we are 'schizophrenic' and being paranoid etc. I called My Father in law and asked him to talk to him. Still no calming down in sight. I did not sleep that night as I was afraid of what B was really up to. The next day a trip to the mental health facility for a psych evaluation. Turns out, he isn't really schizophrenic...... Go Figure
Hubby and I knew this problem with latchkey was coming eventually, but we thought we would make it more through deployment. Anyhow, next step for B was out the door from the program, so I gave my notice at work. I figured I needed to give notice while I could and not before I had to quit on the spot. My last day ironically was B's Birthday.
So for three weeks I sat around while B went to school. he can't be alone because of his over active imaginination and lack of responsibility.
I eventually was asked back to work on a part time basis,which gave me time for adult interaction and to feel like a functioning part of society. Anyways B goes home for two weeks at Christmas (Thank the Lord) and my mom comes out for one week. Groovy time with mom and some alone time to boot! Did I also Mention that during this time my hubby was in port YY and was able to call. The voice of reason and sanity.
God, I love that man. Even when I am tired and flat, he builds me back up and calls me his Warrior Queen. How about that ? He is submerged in close quarters with a bunch of guys who are funky, nasty and down on women and behave like children and my hubby is making everything right in my world. Have I mentioned how awesome my husband is? And he's smokin hot to boot.

B comes back and he is well behaved and I think wow, he needed that visit home.... wait for it...
he wakes up the next day like a computer that rebooted overnight.. Whoooooop here we go again.
Attitude flying, drama the whole nine. We have over time, dialed it back some, but none of this would be possible without the help of my counselor and B's counselor at the CAPS program through the Navy.
Everyday is still a struggle, but I am learning how to pick my battles and I have to say that I am winning. I am currently waiting for my hubby to come home. I got an urge for some snuggleing and he owes me after everything I have been through, haha. ( I am gonna get a foot massage too !) Did I mention I am currently in a 10 week parenting program? hey, I need all the skills I can get.... At the end there is even a certificate... the only thing I know of that makes you an actual certified parent......

by the way, I am now on the way to the gun range to use that gun.... for actual target practice...

Check back for more installents on How teenagers play with your lives......

1 comments:

Miss Hope said...

I am loving your blog!

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SISTER!